Saturday, January 08, 2005

Rejected by Jeltz

Dear Smithie,

Thank you so much for auditioning for Poems to Go! I enjoyed reading your poem.
The competition has been rough and I’m sorry to say that you did not make the cut.
However, I wish you the best of luck with your poetry endeavors.
Thank you for trying out.

Very truly yours,

Amy Gumley


----

If I had any "poetry endeavors," I might well be crushed by this. As it is, I'm really looking forward to tracking down the woman who comissioned my "test "poem - or test "poem" - and finding out if Amy is running a scam.

What's that you say? You'd like to read the 15-stanza poem incorporating many personal details that I wrote in an hour this morning? Well, there are no last names in it, so why not?

---
We’ve gathered here to celebrate
A shared life of adventure
That started fifty years ago
With a gentlemanly gesture

A lady with a fear of steps
Climbed higher than we now can
She sought the face of Liberty
And found a dashing Grecian

He took her heels and took her hand
And led her down to safety
Where then they parted; who would think
A further meeting might be?

But Fate entwines in many ways
The people She’s intended
Ilene did not know who John was,
But fortunately, her friend did.

Their second meeting made it clear
That love was in the making
And two bright dreams of life became
A mutual undertaking.

In 1957 first
They had a civil wedding.
A rabbi blessed their union next-
So whom were they forgetting?

My mother joined my father’s church
When seven years had passed.
Their marriage three times now performed
They sought another task…

Some children seem to come too soon
And some are unexpected;
But Fate once more reached out her hand
And three lives were connected.

How I blessed I was to need a home
When their time came to give one,
Some children treasure dreams of love
My privilege was to live one.

Our happy home in Wayland
Will be always in my heart
My sweet Mavrocki on the steps
At every weekend’s start

My mother’s lovely garden beds
Where her wedding ring went missing.
She found it after many years-
But dad had lost his fishing!

We traveled as a family
To stay close to our relations.
Another gift they gave to me
Was love from two great nations.

My father’s hair has just turned gray
And mom may read with glasses,
They’re ready to be grandparents –
So guess what MY new task is!

Two chance meetings, three marriages
And one dear daughter later
Ilene and John in their new home
Could know no triumph greater

Than all the dreams they still pursue,
Fond memories to look back on,
Health, Family and Happiness -
“Pan Meteron Ariston.”



I know, I know. I should be shot. Tee-hee!

5 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran into the same lady,
and the same reply you received
just yesterday, and I'd like
to know where my "test" poem
is as well. Did you track this
Amy Gumley down?

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Smithie said...

I actually created a new hotmail account with a fake name and applied again. I received the same "test case" scenario as I did the first time, so I think she is not a scam artist - just a really, really, REALLY bad poet. Which is not a crime. Altough perhaps it should be.

Was your "test poem" on the same subject as mine?

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this woman personally and she is a really awful poet. I have some of her work which she gave me and it is really weak. Pathetic really...
Your work was much better.
I found your blog by googleing "Amy Gumley".

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me again...

Post if you want to read her "work". It is good for a laugh and I get get a copy to you...

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger cc Infopage said...

.

Hotmail News by www.infopage.cc - Oct. 17, 2005


Microsoft to Test New Hotmail Interface (AnandTech)
For those of you that use Hotmail, Microsoft is testing a new user interface for the popular web-based email client: Microsoft is preparing to publicly test its new front end Hotmail, code-named "Kahuna" and simply branded: Mail Beta. The upgrade will support an AJAX-based interface that has been rewritten from the ground up using...

AOL Offers $299 PC (Connected Home Media)
Everyone's favorite dominant ISP introduced an intriguing offer this week: Agree to use AOL for a year, and you can purchase a low-end PC from the company for just $299. Although the deal seems like a bid to stem the flow of subscribers eager to get out from under the multicolored, dumbed-down AOL interface, the offer actually appears to be decent, assuming you're not into playing the latest 3-D games. Of course, you can get a decent Dell system for not much more than the cost of the AOL PC plus the service (about $585 when you add it all up).

Preview of New MSN Hotmail (Slashdot)
An anonymous reader writes "Here is a Preview of a new MSN Hotmail system, using AJAX. Currently in Beta testing." Most interesting is how the user interface more closely resembles a traditional local application. It's definitely a big step in that direction.

Free Anonymous Proxies by www.jeepee.biz

Have a nice day,
jeepee

Delivered by Infopage.cc: 30,000 daily updated Information Pages about all kind of subjects

 

Post a Comment

<< Home